The Chess Master

a series by scifipony / pebble

Fandom: Psych
Characters: Carlton Lassiter, Shawn Spencer
Genre: Spy AU
Tags: Casefic, Genfic, Adventure, Hurt/Comfort, Whump, Angst, Friendship, Action, Suspense
Warnings: Graphic Violence

Series Overview: Set in an alternate reality in which all the Psych characters are spies working for various rival agencies. The series focuses on Carlton Lassiter, a highly skilled field agent struggling to overcome a tragic loss, and his new partner Shawn Spencer, a consultant with a mysterious past and way too many secrets. Together, the two former enemies race against time to bring down a terrifying villain known as Yin.

Author's Notes: This series has its origins in a one-shot titled "In Too Deep" that was originally written back in 2019. The one-shot ended up spinning off into a full series of one-shots and short stories set in a shared AU verse. It eventually grew to the point that I wanted to start over, this time with a clear roadmap and a more focused storyline. In 2020, I privated the original series and launched "The Chess Master" to replace it. The first fic was written for the Whumptober 2020 challenge on tumblr and the others soon followed. It is still a work in progress, with Part Two only about half done and there will eventually be a Part Three to finish off the trilogy. This series means a lot to me, so I can guarantee it will never be abandoned, I just sometimes need breaks between writing it due to the heavy subject matter in these fics. I'm going to attempt archiving all of the existing parts of this series on here, but it might take a little while to get them all formatted and uploaded to this site.

Main Trilogy

Part One - A Man Called Psych
Summary: Carlton Lassiter is the top undercover agent for an international law enforcement agency. Shawn Spencer is the top consultant for an international criminal organization. A common goal unites the two enemies when they team up to exact revenge from a rogue operative known only as Psych.
Rating: T
Writing Status: Complete
Archiving Status: 3/11 chapters

Part Two - In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity
Summary: Shawn and Lassiter hit a few roadblocks as they try to adjust to their new partnership, while also keeping Shawn's status as a double agent secret from the rest of the SBPD. A dangerous assignment will put their newfound friendship to the test when they're kidnapped and pitted against each other in a deadly game of survival.
Rating: M
Writing Status: In Progress
Archiving Status: 0/10 chapters

Part Three
(To be written)



One-shots

9 Lives Worth Living
2,392 words | Genfic | Angst, Character Analysis, Hurt/Comfort
Summary: Shawn reflects on his current situation and makes friends with a cat that shows up on his doorstep.

Gus Walks Into A Spy Agency
4,912 words | Genfic | Friendship, Humor, Fluff
Summary: Gus has a very nice, orderly life with a good job, a daily routine, and everything planned out exactly how he needs it to be. Then he meets Shawn Spencer, and his life is never going to be predictable again.

Back To Fanfics Page

Thank you for reading! If you would like to contact the author, please visit my tumblr or dreamwidth.